John Ramey Biography
|John Ramey |
California Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
The Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB) appointed John Ramey as its new Executive Director. Mr. Ramey succeeds Janette Casillas, who retired December 30, 2013.
Mr. Ramey was MRMIB's first Executive Director, serving in that capacity from 1990 to 1996. Mr. Ramey participated in the founding of health insurance programs in California for high risk individuals, working low income pregnant women and children, and The HIPC, one of the nation's largest and most successful small employer purchasing alliances. Previous to joining the staff of MRMIB, Mr. Ramey was an executive with the California Health and Welfare Agency and Department of Health Services working in the area of health care finance.
Since 1996 Mr. Ramey has worked in the private sector as an employee and contractor in a wide variety of areas:
- Senior Program Director for the California Association of Health Facilities, responsible for the management and development of policy issues of the California nursing facility industry
- Interim Executive Director of the Quality Health Care Foundation, an educational non-profit company dedicated to serving nursing facilities, to analyze and develop a strategy for the future
- Founder and Chief Executive Officer of a nonprofit company organized to enhance options for purchasing of health and dental insurance for small employers and their employees
- Consulted with EDS for the designation as the administrator for the California Healthy Families Program, a program for uninsured children
- Responsibility for restructuring of California Advantage, Inc., a managed care company formed by the California Medical Association to compete in the California health insurance market
- Program development and site location in California for VisionQuest, a national company providing treatment programs for troubled youth
- Provision of research and strategic support for Mary Joycelyn Griffin & Associates, a government relations firm in Sacramento.
Mr. Ramey has an extensive background in public service, including leadership roles at the Health and Welfare Agency and as a senior health advisor, and in the private sector as a consultant on employee health benefits, government health programs and contracts.