Janette Casillas Biography
|Janette Casillas |
California Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board
Janette Casillas was appointed Executive Director of the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board on January 2, 2011. She is a veteran state administrator of more than 35 years. She served as MRMIB’s Chief Deputy Director and negotiator for three years and worked for the Board a total of 12 years in various capacities. She has negotiated more than 200 contracts for rates and service area coverage with 31 health, dental and vision plans, and has been involved in extensive work at the federal and national levels.
In 2004, Ms. Casillas participated in MRMIB’s efforts to assess the impact of an employer enacted pay or play requirement (ultimately overturned by the voters) on the purchasing pool that MRMIB would have operated under the Act (SB2).
During the years 2007-2008, she participated in Governor Schwarzenegger’s comprehensive health reform effort which located many responsibilities for implementation with MRMIB.
In 2010, Ms. Casillas led MRMIB in its implementation of California’s federally funded program for the medically uninsurable. For that effort, she negotiated the contracts for administrative vendor services and a third party administrator.
She leads MRMIB in its operation of five health insurance programs for the uninsured:
- The Major Risk Medical Insurance Program (MRMIP), California’s high risk pool for medically insurable persons.
- The Healthy Families Program (HFP), providing health coverage to children whose families have incomes above Medicaid levels. This is California’s State Children’s Health Insurance Program [SCHIP] which as the highest enrollment in the country.
- The Access for Infants and Mother’s (AIM) Program for pregnant women whose income is above Medicaid levels.
- The County Health Initiative Matching (CHIM) Program under which counties draw down SCIP funds to pay for coverage to SCHIP eligible children who have incomes above the HFP.
- The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Program (PCIP), California’s federally funded program for the medically uninsurable.
National Academy of State Health Policy
Insure the Uninsured Project